Monday, February 24, 2020

Hatching!!!

It appeared there was a behavior change of the adults on Friday, February 21 which carried over to Saturday, February 22. There were several instances of both adults being at or near the nest plus, I had the date of incubation beginning 5 weeks earlier. Incubation typically lasts from 34-36 days but it's sometimes difficult to ascertain from ground observation, as the eagle doing the incubating is often way out of sight in the nest.
I had spent a good amount of time at the nest on Saturday but my timing may have been off as I never saw any prey items being brought in, an indication that hatching has occurred. Several minutes after I called it a day, I received a call that prey had in fact been delivered to the nest!!! A sure sign that things had changed and there was at least one chick in the nest!
When I went back the following day (Sunday) I was able to see a feeding take place.
Small fish for lunch!
Feeding the chicks




Feeding the chicks, checking territory

No comments:

Post a Comment