Tuesday, June 25, 2019

June 24, 2019

After two days of not seeing the eaglets at Honey Bee,  I returned yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to find an adult, I presume the female, sitting in the nest tree, right next to the nest.

I observed her for about 45 minutes before she flew for some human visitors to the nest.
I drove around for about 15 minutes, looking for her but to no avail. So, I returned to the nest and waited.
I had waited for about 15 minutes with my friend and photographer Dan, when we heard an eagle call. There she was, in the dead tree across the fairway. She appeared to be waiting for something.....and she had some Crows for company.

Then she unexpectedly took off.
And gave us a few nice flight shots.


So, where are the eaglets?
This was the 3rd day I had not seen them in the area of the nest tree. This was not unexpected. Eaglets need to learn important skills to survive. They can watch their parents, other eagles, perhaps other birds. This first year of life is hard for them (but please do NOT try to feed them!) They may still be in the area...or not.  I did see two immature Bald Eagles this past Sunday perched in a known perching tree off Salem Rd., less than a mile from the nest tree, so still within the territory.  I was over 100 yards away so no way to ID them. But, I can dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment